Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Quilting Arts TV



In April 2019, I had the opportunity to film a few segments for Quilting Arts TV. This opportunity was pure delight for me! I am a big fan of the show, and to have the opportunity to work with the folks in the quilting community was wonderful.

Working with Susan Brubaker Knapp and Vivika Hansen DeNegre was like spending time with rock stars. Their attention to detail and insight to the particulars in filming were amazing. The support staff team they have assembled is stellar. Thanks to Kathy, Katherine, Kristin, Jeannine as well as everyone behind the cameras and sound room. Sorry I did not get a chance to learn everyone’s names, but please understand that they all work together like a well-oiled rotary cutter. They made me feel like a star, taking care to feed me, iron my clothes, help organize my supplies, and make suggestions on my content and presentations.

Susan Brubaker Knapp and Sherri Lipman McCauley


I am looking forward to the airing of my segments in the 2400 and 2500 series this summer. I will be included in episodes 2403, 2405, and 2411. Topics I presented included flinging paint, painting with gestural motions, making improvisational blocks from painted scraps and adding color with the use of die cut appliques.

QATV set

I like to work extemporaneously and in the abstract. I love to apply paint on fabric, incorporating the two mediums into cohesive designs. I work in an improvisational mode, allowing the paint and fabric to dictate the direction of my artwork. Often, my artwork is pulled together with machine stitching, applique, hand embroidery and machine quilting.

I came upon paint flinging quite by accident. I was working on a piece using thickened dye, applying color with a syringe. After applying the dye, I hung my piece from the pot rack hanging from the ceiling in my kitchen to dry. As it hung, the color started to drip and move down the fabric. I liked the effect, and began to experiment with other tools for the application of color. I found that syringes, squeeze bottles and droppers each create a distinct line form.

Chaos

I like immediate satisfaction, and might be a bit impatient regarding the time needed to batch and wash out dye, so I experimented with using paints. The results with the paints were outstanding, and so, my flinging shifted to using paint for my designs.

Teal Circle

After experimenting with gestural painting on fabric, I found that I really liked the serendipity of the paint landing on the fabric.  Each application is distinct, each gestural stroke creates something unique and abstract. I love the surprise and the mark of the paint on the fabric. After creating my painted pieces, I make a whole cloth quilt. I enhance the surface with colorful accents of paint and layer with a felt backing. Using a walking foot, I stitch the piece with gentle curves and add a few hand stitches for interest. The edges of the quilted piece are finished, a hanging sleeve is added and the piece is ready to be hung on the wall.

Branches Yellow

My improvisational piecing method began as an answer to the question-What do I make from these scraps of painted fabrics? Modifying my take on the traditional log cabin and courthouse steps, I constructed the blocks with non-traditional fabrics. The blocks were then pieced together with neutrals, creating a modern look with negative space. If you have a few scraps and pieces of fabric from previous paint or dye sessions, bring them out to your cutting mat and try a little improvisational piecing.

Black White Blue

Sometimes a whole cloth top of black and white needs a little color to bring out the design. This can be accomplished with quilted lines of a contrasting color or fusing on a raw edge applique. I especially like working with circles and spirals. I have been known to use a die cut machine to cut shapes out of fabric with fusible web on the back. This works well with cottons, silks and polyester sheer fabrics. Before you quilt your top, examine your design to determine where you want to add a pop of color. Audition a few shapes in different colors, select the appliques, fuse, layer and begin to machine quilt your masterpiece.

Lines #1, Lines #2, Lines #3

I thought preparing the necessary steps to demonstrate the process would be no big deal. BUT-after breaking down the steps, I realized how much work I needed to complete. Selecting quilts to showcase was a challenge as well. I wanted each segment to display the appropriate artwork in support of the process demonstrated on set.

Was it a lot of effort, anxiety, and fun? Oh yes! And, given the opportunity to do it again, I would commit to it in a New York minute!











4 comments:

  1. Great post! Can't wait to see your segments. You rock!
    MA

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great post to see "behind the scenes"! Did you say what you use as a base? muslin, perhaps? canvas, maybe? Do you discuss the preparation of the fabric beforehand? You've piqued my interest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the first episode, looking forward to seeing rest. Looked for you on Instagram and obviously had no luck. Just by chance I popped into Over the tip quilting as I have only recently decided the explore the options quilting might have. I mentioned I was a painter and it was then that Pat Moore pointed to your information on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post Sherri!! I hear the excitement for the process in your writing voice. Very inspiring! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete